subclassing Thread and start

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Sun Jun 22 10:39:24 EDT 2003

Note that the threading module is the one you should use for threads in your
program, the thread module is rather lower-level and therefore rather more
error prone.

Your MyThread class could look like this"

    class MyThread(threading.Thread):
        def start(self):
            threading.Thread.start(self)
            self.id = id(self)
            return self.id

If you *must* use the thread module, remember that although the
documentation says that you shouldn't *override* start(), that doesn't mean
you can't *extend* it. So, similar to the example aboce, you should make
sure that your thread's start_new_thread() method calls the base class'
start_net_thread() before running any of its own code.

As a general rule, you should try not to assume any knowedge of the insides
of the class you are using. Hope this helps.

regards

news:uk86fv060t84jqno0mniak1ol6s3nn415c at 4ax.com...