Fast CGI Vs Java Application Servers

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 29 05:37:55 EDT 2003

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 17:01:07 +0800, Charles Handy
<chppxf1 at NOSPAM_yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> How does FastCGI compare against java Apps running in java app servers
> like TomCat, Sun One, WebLogic and WebSphere?

That depends on how your CGI apps are written. If its in QBASIC
running on apache on an NT box then probably the websphere
solution would be faster. If its Perl or Python then you might
not see much difference. If its C/C++ you might even find the CGI
route faster.

> Is there a business case for switching from CGI to Java?

You can make a business case for just about anything if you
try...

> Performance?

See above

> Productivity?

Perl/Python CGI will almoist certainy develop faster than Java.
C++ is about the same IME

> Features?

Maybe, Java's built in networking/security features are a big
plus, maybe the biggest plus.

> Object orientation?

Nope, you can do that in Perl and certainly in Python (or Ruby).

> Code Reuse?

Nope, that's much more about project organisation than
programming language.

> Any opinions?

Lots but I'm trying to stay objective! :-)

Bottom line is: Does what you do now work for you? If so, don't
fix what's not broken...

Alan G.