pythonCOM with Flash

Dave Brueck dave at pythonapocrypha.com
Sun Jun 15 21:29:29 EDT 2003

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003, John J. Lee wrote:

> > If you put the Flash control inside IE you're really
> > not that much closer to the goal and you've created more work for yourself
> > since you have to fiddle with both Python <--> IE as well as IE <--> Flash
> > control.
>
> Not according to Alex.  See the first message here:
>
> http://www.google.com/groups?q=control+container+Martelli+IE+group:comp.lang.python

Well, he _did_ write that before the ctypes days. ;-) But either way there
do seem to be many alternatives.

> Admittedly, I haven't tried it myself.

I have, but I didn't get too far because that route depends (as far as I
understand it) on being able to install win32all (or something similar) so
that you can use Python as an Active Scripting language. That wasn't an
option for me, so I was still left with building the Python<->IE bridge as
well as the IE<->OCX bridge (although not Flash in this case). Having said
that, I'd be the first to admit that my struggles to get it working may
have been tied directly to a poor understanding of the various MS
technologies.

-Dave