does lack of type declarations make Python unsafe?

Gary Duncan gmduncan at netspace.net.au
Mon Jun 16 10:53:56 EDT 2003

Alex Martelli wrote:

[ lots deleted ]

>>>Calling functions with invalid arguments is one of the commonest
>>>programming errors
>>
>>Debatable.  Not true in my experience.

I suspect this assertion relates to juxtaposing args, not so
much the values thereof. Obviously passing bad values to a function
is a crime we have all committed - at least it's one I admit to ;)

In the pre-ANSI-C days, I did this occasionally - and even thereafter
coz if multiple args had the same type (int?), the function definition
wouldn't help if one put the args out of order.

> Pretty true in my own experience, for a suitably generalized definition

See above.

- Gary (definitely a proponent of dynamism )

> of "functions" that includes operators and other callables.  However,
> the reasons the arguments are "invalid" are more often connected to the
> *values* that those arguments take at runtime, rather than to the types

Hmm, I'll have to think about that ;)