does lack of type declarations make Python unsafe?

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Wed Jun 18 09:15:11 EDT 2003

David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> writes:

> Brandon Corfman <bcorfman at amsaa.army.mil> writes:
>
> > I think the problem is that a C++/Java programmer regards the Python
> > command prompt as little more than a calculator or a place to type
> > "prog.main()". I know I did at first.
>
> Ever try to write a class with more than 2 methods at the
> command-line?  After screwing it up several times I always revert to
> emacs <wink>.

I agree with this.  I don't know what all the fuss is about with the
interactive prompt.  I certainly do use it, quite frequently, but
don't see a huge difference here between Python and statically-typed
compiled languages (especially given a good IDE -- like unix + emacs
etc.).

Maybe only me and David make lots of mistakes at the interactive
prompt ;-)

John