Python Cannot be Killed

Jarek Zgoda jzgoda at gazeta.usun.pl
Tue Jun 17 17:16:24 EDT 2003

Krzysztof Stachlewski <stach at fr.pl> pisze:

>> More than that - unlike Kerberos, Python can not be taken by any
>> particular company and become its "flagship", while being screwed.
>>
>> Software Craftsmen, please, consider this fact when choosing a license
>> for your product - only GNU GPL guarantees that your code will not be
>> "taken away" by any company.
>
> Python is not GPL (something has changed from yesterday?)
> It is GPL compatible. This is not the same.

Did I say "Python Craftsmen"? No, I didn't...

I mean, that any of you, that produces any of software that is intended
to be freely available, you should consider publishing it under GNU GPL,
since this is the only license, that guarantees anything. There are
loobies that say that BSD licensing is more "business friendly" - in
fact, you can see what "business friendliness" means in recent SCO vs.
IBM case - this all is due to "Open Source friendliness" to business. If
we follow straight rules of Free Software, we will newer face such a
shame.

--
Jarek Zgoda
Registered Linux User #-1