Python IO performance?

Ganesan R rganesan at myrealbox.com
Mon Jun 2 01:59:46 EDT 2003

> Ganesan R <rganesan at myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:<m3k7c61ktg.fsf at localhost.localdomain>...
>> I agree that this case favors perl. It's just that I am used to writing
>> quick hacks like this for text processing in perl. After learning python
>> I've been resisting my impulse to code them in perl and use python
>> instead.

> Why?!

Simple, to learn Python! I need to use Python in everyday use to learn the
language. Once I have learned the language reasonably well, I'll naturally
use the tool that fits the job :-).

> For quick hacks and simple text processing I still reach for Perl,
> especially if the task involves regexps.  I think this Perl vs Python
> loyalty bit is just a little silly, you know horses for courses and all.

Hey, there's no Perl vs Python loyalty bit here. I like both Perl and
Python; but to get to know a language better you do need to do some real
life coding in that language. And for me, real life coding includes every
day scripts for text processing.

> Besides, it doesn't hurt to do just a little bit of coding in some of the
> other languages within your repetoire so that you don't find yourself
> thinking, (as I have done on occasion), hmm now does the tilde come before
> the equals sign or after it ...

Considering that I regularly develop in C, C++, Java, Perl, Python and sh,
and the fact that I am also learning C# in my spare time, and the fact that
I've also dabbled into ruby and lua, I think we're in violent agreement :-).

Ganesan

--
Ganesan R (rganesan at debian dot org) | http://www.debian.org/~rganesan/
1024D/5D8C12EA, fingerprint F361 84F1 8D82 32E7 1832  6798 15E0 02BA 5D8C 12EA