dictionary issue (and maybe PEP ... depending on the answer)

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Jun 4 00:04:22 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 00:45, dsavitsk wrote:
> never mind, for now, that there are proably better ways to do what the
> dict obviously does.  anyhow, I get a list of the months by doing this
>
>  >>> [_months[i] for i in _months.keys()]

Now what I'd like is:

[m for m, i in _months.items() sortby i]

Such an addition to list comprehension would make everyone who doesn't
like the sort method happy, plus it's just a much better way to express
sorting, so you could do things like:

[p for p in people sortby p.lastname, p.firstname]

instead of:

l = people[:]
l.sort(lambda a, b: cmp((a.lastname, a.firstname),
                        (b.lastname, b.firstname))