Screenshots

Thorsten Kohnhorst monsterkodi at gmx.net
Thu Jun 5 05:18:48 EDT 2003

Hello Sam,

> I am looking for a way to take screenshots of the desktop. The files
> don't need to be opened or viewed, just saved with a filename the user
> gives. I'm developing this in a Windows environment. If you could give
> me any links or hints about this I would be most appreciative.

There are many ways to do this and they depend mostly on the frameworks
you are using.

Here is a short example how to write a screenshot to a bitmap using
wxPython:

from wxPython.wx import *

def screenshot(filename='screenshot.bmp'):
     """writes a screenshot to a bitmap (.bmp)"""
     screenDC, memDC = wxScreenDC(), wxMemoryDC()    # device contexts
     width, height = screenDC.GetSizeTuple()         # screen size
     bitmap = wxEmptyBitmap(width, height)           # create bitmap
     memDC.SelectObject(bitmap)                      # select bitmap
     memDC.Blit(0, 0, width, height, screenDC, 0, 0) # copy screen
     bitmap.SaveFile(filename, wxBITMAP_TYPE_BMP)    # save bitmap

Hope that helps,
yours kodi