pygresql

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-zip-does-too.com.au
Fri Jun 27 20:21:18 EDT 2003

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 01:10:46 +0100, trewornan wrote:
> I'm trying to install pygresql on mandrake 9.1 but when I try "python
> setup.py build" I get the error - "cannot find
> /usr/lib/python2.2/config/makefile"

The files needed for running a library, like Python, are different to
(mostly a subset of) the files needed for developing something to link
to that library.

You'll find all the libraries in your GNU/Linux system come as (at
least) two separate packages: a run-time library package for users of
the library, and a developer's library package containing extra files
for building packages that link to the library.

Install the developer's library for Python.  On many GNU/Linux systems,
it's packaged as python-2.2-dev or similar.  This will give you the
files needed to compile other packages that depend on Python's C
bindings.  (It will coexist with the run-time package.)

Note that the *-dev packages are needed only when acting as a developer
(i.e. compiling something); running the resulting code only requires the
run-time library (hence the name).  Thus, once you've built what you
need to build, you can remove any developer library packages if you
choose, leaving only the run-time packages installed.

--
 \          "Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better |
  `\                                       time."  -- Henry L. Mencken |