Anyone using Venster?

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Fri Jun 20 08:01:59 EDT 2003

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Guyon Morée wrote:

> Recently I discovered the 'Venster' package at http://venster.sf.net/
>
> I really like the idea of using this instead of the pywin/mfc stuff. The
> only problem is that there is almost no documentation and I can not find
> anything on the web/newsgroup about it.
>
> So i was wondering if anyone's using this and likes to share some code.

Venster is still pretty young and raw, as is the underlying ctypes
package, though ctypes is maturing rapidly.

I'm experimenting with Venster at work, as I'm having to use ctypes to
access a COM package which has very limited support for COM automation,
and is thus not really usable from Mark Hammond's win32all package :-(.

As Venster is only a fairly thin wrapper about various Windows APIs (ATL &
WTL in particular), I've been able to use the online docs at MSDN (in
conjunction with the samples) to get by so far.

How much further I can get remains to be seen...

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  (pref) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au             (alt) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/               |        Australia