Possible install bug in Python 2.3b1? (Python 2.2 still in the registry)

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Mon Jun 16 15:21:52 EDT 2003

[Matt Shomphe]
> I installed Python 2.3b1 on my machine (Win2k, sp3, 384 MB ram, 500mHz
> pentium III).  After installing, I noticed that in the registry
> (regedit), there were still entries containing the old Python 2.2
> records.

Why is this surprising?  For example, installing 2.3b1 does not uninstall
2.2.  Did you uninstall 2.2?

>  For example:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\python.exe\shell\
> open\command
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\pythonw.exe\shell
> \open\command
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session
> Manager\Environment (It's still in the %PATH%)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Session
> Manager\Environment (It's still in the %PATH%)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
> Manager\Environment (It's still in the %PATH%)
>
> all have the path C:\Python22\.

Whether one or more of those should have gotten overwritten depends on
things you haven't told us, such as whether you clicked on the Advanced
options button when installing, and, if so, whether you did an Admin or
Non-Admin install, and whether you chose to associate file extensions or
not.

> This does not seem to affect the behavior of the latest install.  (I
> noticed the error only when I tried to install eGenix.com's mx
> extensions.  It requires Python 2.2 and I noticed a garbage entry
> when it was about to install.)

Sorry, don't know what that means.

> Is this a bug that should be reported?

Not enough info here to guess whether there's a bug.