ICA - Independent Component Analysis

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 27 16:45:02 EDT 2003

    Tim> There is a fastICA library for R (a free statistical analysis
    Tim> environment) which does ICA and projection pursuit - see
    Tim> http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/PACKAGES.html#fastICA

    Tim> If you want to access it from Python, try Walter Moreira's
    Tim> excellent RPy module (see http://rpy.sf.net) which embeds R
    Tim> within your Python interpreter and provides an incredibly
    Tim> smooth interface between the two (including the ability to
    Tim> directly pass NumPy arrays to and from R).  --

Great -- that looks perfect.  I am confused about one thing.  It
appears that fastica is an extension module that is not part of the
src I downloaded.  If I install the extension, will I have to modify
rpy to use it from python, or is there some procedure so that this
will happen automagically?

Thanks,
John Hunter