Call a Python file with parameters

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jun 10 12:23:44 EDT 2003

"W Isaac Carroll" <icarroll at pobox.com> wrote in message
> So you're trying to avoid the overhead of executing a def statement
> build the function? If the files have already been compiled by the
time
> you retrieve them from the database, the only thing that the import
> statement has to do is load the .pyc and bind the name. Were you
> assuming that the function would have to be executed twice (once to
> create it, once to call it)?

You can't execute a function before it is created ;-)  You do have to
execute a def statement to get a function object.  This occurs for
top-level def when the module is imported.  If a .pyc is saved (and
reused) then (I'm sure) the compiled body of the function is saved in
bytecode form, so that regenerating the function is rather quick.

Terry J. Reedy