Unable to compile _tkinter.c: incompatible pointer type --> Error 1

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Thu Jun 12 12:54:09 EDT 2003

Hi,

I am unable to compile _tkinter.c. I get the following error message
(latest CVS):

$ make
gcc -pthread  -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I. -I./Include  -DPy_BUILD_CORE  -DWITH_APPINIT -I/usr/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -DWITH_TIX -DWITH_PIL -I../Extensions/Imaging/libImaging -c ./Modules/_tkinter.c -o Modules/_tkinter.o
Modules/_tkinter.c:96:2: #error "unsupported Tcl configuration"
Modules/_tkinter.c: In function `AsObj':
Modules/_tkinter.c:947: warning: passing arg 1 of `Tcl_NewUnicodeObj' from incompatible pointer type
Modules/_tkinter.c: In function `FromObj':
Modules/_tkinter.c:1073: warning: passing arg 1 of `PyUnicodeUCS2_FromUnicode' from incompatible pointer type
make: *** [Modules/_tkinter.o] Error 1

This is the latest CVS on a clean RH9 installation. I am using
Tcl 8.3 and TK 8.3. I found something like this in the archives[0]
of python-dev, but those were only warnings. I am unable to
install the patch attached to that message: it says

Hunk #2 FAILED at 1361.
Hunk #3 FAILED at 1483.

I think the patch is too old.

What can I do to find out how to solve this problem? I find it strange
that a warning triggers an error.

BTW, I was also surprised to find out that _tkinter.c wasn't compiled and
installed by default. Any hints?

yours,
Gerrit.

--
191. If a man, who had adopted a son and reared him, founded a
household, and had children, wish to put this adopted son out, then this