imghdr.what failed to identify JPEG

Steven Taschuk staschuk at telusplanet.net
Sun Jun 8 11:39:24 EDT 2003

Quoth Arsenal:
  [...]
> Bytes [6:10] for my 52 jpg files are 'Exif'. So if imghdr.what adds
> this additonal check, all of my jpgs would be correctly identified.

That would be easy enough to implement, but I really have no idea
whether it would be the Right Thing.

The docs explicitly say that 'jpeg' is returned for JFIF JPEGs;
not, that implies, for EXIF JPEGs.  I don't know what the
differences between these standards are, nor whether or to what
extent imghdr.what ought to be sensitive to the distinction.

--
Steven Taschuk                                                   w_w
staschuk at telusplanet.net                                      ,-= U