PyModule for ID3 v2.2+

Jack Diederich jack at performancedrivers.com
Sun Jun 1 11:10:05 EDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 03:47:43PM +0100, Alan Kennedy wrote:
> Alexander Winston wrote:
>
> > I beg of you _not_ to include write support for the ID3v2 "standard."
>
> I'd be interested to know while you feel this way. ID3v2 seems like such
> convenient way to inline application-related data in an MP3 file, for example.

"standard" is in sneer quotes because it isn't really a standard, just common.
Most people still use id3v1 which just used fixed length fields.  v1 is
extremely easy to implement and people did again and again and again.
Most of the id3 projects on freshmeat implement v1 and will do heinous stuff
to your files (or at a minimum just suck).

I used to read the id3v2 mailing list (couple years ago) and stopped because
it was a constant flame war.  People agreed it should do everything but not
on how to implement everything. The reference C implementation of id3v2 weighs
in at a 1M gziped tarball.  You can write an mp3 _player_ smaller than that.
(the xmms player source which includes a gui is only 2.7M)

-jack