123.3 + 0.1 is 123.3999999999 ?

Tim Rowe tim at remove_if_not_spam.digitig.cix.co.uk
Thu Jun 5 06:10:15 EDT 2003

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 19:17:46 -0700, Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com>
wrote:

>There are all sorts of alternative definitions of the reals which have
>differing properties than the reals we've all come to know and love.
>They usually fall under the general category of "non-standard analysis."
>I'm not familiar with the particular alternative that the original
>poster mentioned,

Yes, it's non-standard analysis I was thinking of.  I don't know the
detail, but I came across it when learning about fractals, in which
0.9999... and 1.000... might be on completely different branches of a
structure, and the axioms are chosen to keep them distinct.