PEP 318 - Function Modifier Syntax

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Jun 10 18:20:23 EDT 2003

Roman Suzi wrote:

> the syntax is confusing, because "as" already has a meaning of
> "to be known as":

I don't find it all that confusing, since `as' has such a subordinate
meaning.  It's pretty clear to me, and I would think it pretty clear to
even a newbie, that something like

	def f() as staticmethod: ...

would clearly not be defining f as the name staticmethod, since that
would be better written def staticmethod(): ...

/  \ I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.
\__/  J. Robert Oppenheimer (quoting Hindu legend)