Interactive mode

W Isaac Carroll icarroll at pobox.com
Mon Jun 2 13:13:12 EDT 2003

p wrote:
> Pythoneers,
>     At least for the next little while, I'm going to be doing my Python
> development work on a Mac with OS X 10.2. Since I usually use the
> commandline (bash) and vim, it really isn't much different from when I
> use Linux. However, when I'm using interactive mode on this thing, my
> terminal settings don't allow me to up-arrow for the previous command,
> and backspace/delete don't backspace or delete.
>     My terminal seems to be set up correctly... but if there's anyone
> who's run into this before, or if you know of a way for me to map the
> usual keys to their usual functions, please let me know. I'll just be
> here R'ing TFM.

Is it actually due to key bindings, or is it perhaps that the GNU
Readline library is not present on your system? On my Linux system
(Mandrake mongrel-point-two) when the readline library is not present,
Python runs just fine, but doesn't have command history or editing.
Unfortunately, I know very little about OS X, so I couldn't tell you
where to look for the library.

TTFN