License Question

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sun Jun 22 02:50:23 EDT 2003

achrist at easystreet.com wrote:
[ ... ]
> License says:
>
> "3. In the event Licensee prepares a derivative work that is based on
> or incorporates Python 2.2.3 or any part thereof, and wants to make
> the derivative work available to others as provided herein, then
> Licensee hereby agrees to include in any such work a brief summary of
> the changes made to Python 2.2.3."
>
> I interpret this to mean that a distributed version of a python
> script I write, created with Py2exe or the McMillan installer,
> since it includes Python is covered by this provision.

That's probably not a correct interpretation.  The above license term would
apply if you changed Python-2.2.3 itself.  Your python program is yours; it's
not a derivative work of the Python Software Foundation.

The same idea applies to C code compiled with GCC, et cetera: using a compiler
or interpreter does not apply the license of that tool onto the code being
compiled or interpreted.

--
-Chuck