python-mode on OS X

Chris Fonnesbeck spam at fisher.forestry.uga.edu
Tue Jun 3 10:05:07 EDT 2003

David Goodger <goodger at python.org> wrote in message news:<mailman.1054607884.23494.python-list at python.org>...
> Chris Fonnesbeck wrote:
> > I put the following in .emacs to load python-mode on startup:
> >
> > '(autoload 'python-mode "python-mode" "Python editing mode" t)
>
>    ^ is this quote the culprit, or a typo?  Shouldn't be there.
>
> -- David Goodger

Well, if I delete it, I get a similar but different message:

An error has occurred while loading `/Users/chris/.emacs':

Wrong type argument: symbolp, ("python" . python-mode)

Here is my .emacs:

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
  (setq auto-mode-alist
      (cons '("\\.py$" . python-mode) auto-mode-alist))
  (setq interpreter-mode-alist
      (cons '("python" . python-mode)
            interpreter-mode-alist))
  (autoload 'python-mode "python-mode" "Python editing mode" t))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 )

TIA,
C.