Newbie in developping Webapplications needs tips.

Afanasiy abelikov72 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 6 16:44:07 EDT 2003

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 13:58:00 -0500, "Raaijmakers, Vincent (IndSys, GE
Interlogix)" <Vincent.Raaijmakers at ge.com> wrote:

>Currently I try to to gather information about web development by reading books (Python Webprogramming, PHP and MySQL Web Development) searching on Google etc etc..
>The plan is to develop HTML pages for presenting data from a database, configure objects and execute python code from these pages.
>
>My aim is to use as much python as possible because of 1) the experience in that area and 2) the existing python application we would like to support with HTML.
>I'm familair with java's JSP technology, so PSP could be a good choice.
>However, when I read about PHP, this looks also very usefull. But, it is not python....
>
>So my question is, what advise can the guru's give me here?
>What is a good start.

The URL Ian gave is great. I myself used Java for some time before
'settling' on PHP and finding it very useful in web applications.

I am still trying to switch to Python for web development, but
have used it extensively in standard application development.

For my requirements, mod_python ended up being the only solution.
mod_python's native model is servlet-like and a PSP implementation
now exists in CVS (though I disagree with it). Additionally, some
platforms on top of mod_python, without requiring additional daemon,
can change pretty much everything. I find the best there is Spyce.

http://www.modpython.org
http://spyce.sf.net

I think Spyce with mod_python or mod_python's PSP need some work.
I may end up doing the work I think they need when I have time.

Draco and Webware PSP get honorable mentions, but PHP is still
extremely competitive with all of these. Honestly, only the Python
language itself keeps me investigating a PHP alternative, and I
don't even really "like" PHP. *shrug*

-AB