Looking for the greatest negative float value

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Jun 11 18:30:12 EDT 2003

Gerrit Holl wrote:

> Hmm. I think you are looking for -float('inf'). That is
> the greatest negative float value, since it is <n for each
> n.

Then we get into discussions about whether the IEEE infinity really
warrants being described as a "value."  :-)

Besides, I'm pretty sure that whether or not IEEE is the chosen
implementation or indeed whether it's known as 'inf' (thus making
float('inf') legitimate) is dependent on the interpreter.  Python itself
makes no guarantees about such things.

/  \ If I had another face, do you think I'd wear this one?
\__/  Abraham Lincoln