does lack of type declarations make Python unsafe?

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Fri Jun 20 12:24:40 EDT 2003

Thomas Heller <theller at python.net> writes:

> David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> writes:
>
>> Has someone really straightened out the situation with Python
>> debuggers?  Last time I looked there was no JIT debugging,
> You can install an except hook which throws you into a debugger when
> an uncatched exception is raised, see
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/65287

This helps, thanks!

>>  and no way
>> to set a conditional breakpoint in a long-running test without waiting
>> forever as Python calls the debugger hook on every instruction (or
>> statement, I forget).
>
> Hm, you can simply insert 'import pdb; pdb.set_trace()' into the code.
> No overhead.

This doesn't help.  It requires modification of the source code being
debugged, which is exactly my complaint; it's not much better than
using print statements.  I want to be able to debug without making
changes that might, well, introduce more bugs ;-)

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting