id(a) == id(b) and a is not b --> bug?

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Fri Jun 6 15:43:36 EDT 2003

Erik Max Francis schreef op vrijdag  6 juni om 02:22:35 +0000:
> ...  def m(self): pass
> 0
> 1
>
> It's happening because accessing a method dynamically creates an unique
> object and goes away when you're finished with it.

There's probably a perfectly good reason for that ;)

> So when an
> expression needs both at the same time (c.m is c.m), two unique objects
> are created, but when an expression doesn't need both at the same time
> (id(c.m) == id(c.m)), an object gets created with an ID, is destroyed,
> and then a second object is created with the same ID (since the last one
> just got reclaimed) and their IDs compare equal.  Weird, huh?  (It
> surprised me when I first saw it, too.)

Ah, thanks for this explanation!

BTW, is there any way I could have found out about this myself, expect
reading the source (which I can't because of lack of knowledge)?

yours,
Gerrit.

--
120. If any one store corn for safe keeping in another person's house,
and any harm happen to the corn in storage, or if the owner of the house