Tk vs wxPython ?

sismex01 at hebmex.com sismex01 at hebmex.com
Fri Jun 6 12:56:44 EDT 2003

> Gerrit Holl <gerrit at nl.linux.org> wrote:
>
> Maybe we - being the people wanting to move to WxPython - should write a
PEP...

Hmmm... and maybe wxPython has not become the defacto gui for
python for a reason.

Many will attest to having similar experiences with it as I,
that it's a horrible mess to get working.  I've tried several
times in the past to get it working on linux, to no avail.

OTOH, Tkinter is maintained by the core python developers,
and they understand it's inner working.  Also, Tk is a very
flexible toolkit, and there exist many widgets you can download
for it.  Adding support for those external widgets to Tkinter
is downright trivial, since Tkinter uses tcl internally, and
you can send tcl commands "down the pipe" for these other
widgets.

wxPython is a complex beast, as is wxWindows.  I'm not saying
it doesn't have it's place, but I don't think it's place is
being the primary gui for Python, at least, not yet.

Fox toolkit anyone?

these are just my 2 cents, so don't go start any holywars
on my account.

-gca

--
Advertencia:La informacion contenida en este mensaje es confidencial y
restringida, por lo tanto esta destinada unicamente para el uso de la