Factorials

Anand Pillai pythonguy at Hotpop.com
Tue Jun 10 08:13:46 EDT 2003

Here is a version that will make the "functional programmers"
happy. It is iterative rather than recursive.

def fac1(x):
    nums=range(x+1)
    return reduce(lambda x, y: x*y, nums[1:])

Here is it's equivalent 'one-liner':

def fac1(x): return reduce(lambda x, y: x*y, (range(x+1))[1:])

Here is another version that uses 'filter' and 'reduce', but
more cryptic:

def fac2(x): return reduce(lambda x, y: x*y, filter(lambda x: x>0, range(x+1)))

The lambda forms are preferred by some programmers since they often
appear more "elegant".

There might be other ways of doing it using functional programming
approaches. It is an interesting study :-)

Anand Pillai