Twisted Panglossia

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Thu Jun 5 18:30:21 EDT 2003

Jack Diederich wrote:

> so if you want to be a grammar nazi it was Pollyannaish, but I didn't
< notice
> the difference until you mentioned it.

The -ness suffix just makes an adjective into a noun, so the noun form
of "Pollyannaish" is "Pollyannaishness."  The way David used the word in
the sentence, it was clear that a noun part of speech was what he meant.

Unless I misunderstood what you were getting at here.

/  \ I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.
\__/  Charles Schultz