Python 2.2.2 win32 build

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Thu Jun 19 20:03:02 EDT 2003

Ben Finney wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 22:55:09 -0700, Tim Roberts wrote:
>
>>Why would you want to [build Python yourself from source]?  There is
>>already a standard distribution.  Why make a non-standard
>>distribution?  I'm just as comfortable knowing that I can count on *A*
>>Python distribution being *THE* Python distribution.
>

> I don't know the OP's reasons for building from source, but since you
> ask "why", I can give a pretty strong one:  Because you want a Python
> built with options different from the default build.  Perhaps you want
> to enable experimental features, or you want to disable a whole bunch of
> things that won't be used on the target machine, or you want to test out
> a new extension yourself.
>
> Does that give a better idea of why one might want to do it?

I think you misread.  The original question was "why do you want to
create a distribution", rather than "why do you want to build from
source".  I don't see a good reason for the former - if you want to
embed or release Python with your product, then you would generally put
Python *in* your products installer, not attempt to re-use the Python one.

Using the standard .wse file to create a distribution with non-standard
options would be doing the people who use it an injustice.

Mark.