XML

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-zip-does-too.com.au
Sun Jun 22 00:13:58 EDT 2003

On 21 Jun 2003 17:39:42 +0200, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Ben Finney <bignose-hates-spam at and-zip-does-too.com.au> writes:
>> [the most widely used document format is] 7-bit ASCII plain text.
>
> I do have way more .html files than .txt files.

A file's extension doesn't necessarily have any relationship to the
format of the file's contents.  Try counting by the output of the 'file'
command; it describes the content as "HTML" or "ASCII".

> I haven't counted source code files, here, obviously, but I'm not sure
> whether those would qualify as '7-bit ASCII plain text'.

    <http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/f/flat-ASCII.html>

In terms of storage of data, yes, a program source file would count as
plain ASCII, since there is no other markup or control structure.  (The
*semantics* of the data aren't important to this discussion, since we're
talking about the *format* of the data).

--
 \        "Most people don't realize that large pieces of coral, which |
  `\       have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common |