Fast CGI Vs Java Application Servers

Kevin Kenny kennykb at acm.org
Sun Jun 29 09:05:59 EDT 2003

Charles Handy wrote:

> How does FastCGI compare against java Apps running in java app servers
> like TomCat, Sun One, WebLogic and WebSphere?  Is there a business case
> for switching from CGI to Java?  Performance? Productivity? Features?
> Object orientation? Code Reuse?
>
> Any opinions?

When anyone talks about scrapping working code, I refer them to
Generally speaking, there's no good reason to ditch stuff that
works. Buzzword compliance is one of the worst reasons.
(Ditching particularly bad *components* of stuff that works
is sometimes the right thing...)

Performance: By the time you've finished your reimplementation,
Moore's Law will have caught up with you.

Productivity: Whose productivity? See the article cited above.

Features: What do you need? Does it exist in your current
environment? Is there an add-in that gives it without needing
to redevelop?

Object orientation: Tcl (with SnIT, IncrTcl, ...) supports it.
Perl supports it. Python supports it. The object models are
different, and zealots will say, "only .... is *really* object
oriented." Don't trust zealots.

Code reuse: Excuse me? You want code reuse, and you're talking
about redeveloping existing product?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin