Socket to me (thanks)

Mark Carter cartermark46 at ukmail.com
Sun Jun 1 07:06:40 EDT 2003

Many thanks for the replies that I've received. It will give me
something to chew over.

I'm thinking that I'm not entirely sure what it is I'm trying to
achieve myself. I had in mind executing python scripts on a remote
machine. Something along the lines of:

1. I update a copy of the intranet on my machine, and tell the server
that it has to perform a CVS UPDATE of the pages.
2. Another idea I had is for when I work from home, and want to update
files on a (non-web) project I'm working on. I send an email with the
file updates attached, and a script telling some kind of daemon what
to do with them. Obviously, some kind of security arrangement would
have to be come up with to authenticate the sender of the email.
3. Remote administration.

I've toyed with Pyro - which looks like it would do the kind of thing
I'd want it to - but alas, I couldn't get it to work from an initial
play, and I'd need to look at it more in-depth. I was impressed with
Twisted (!), and managed to get the echo server and client working
straight off. I also like the idea of the telnet daemon running
python.

One solution - albeit limited in some respects and not as fancy as the
some of the distributed computing modules provided for python - is to
have an incoming directory on a shared computer. A daemon periodically
polls the directory and processes what it sees.

Once again - many thanks for the help offered.