Is python good for making database work short?

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-zip-does-too.com.au
Wed Jun 18 22:01:01 EDT 2003

On 18 Jun 2003 18:27:10 -0700, Steve wrote:
> One part of the problem involved copying tables from one database on
> one server, to another database on another server.
> [...]
> A coworker who is a foxpro nut did all of this in about 3 lines of
> code.
> [...]
> However I was wondering if python could have made this job this easy.
> Does python make manipulating databases and data short work?

I certainly hope so; I'm soon going to embark on a very similar task
(like countless others around the world), an automated process to move
data from one database to another with a totally different schema.

I really want to do it in Python, and my brief glimpse at Python's ODBC
capability is encouraging.  (The source database can only be accessed by
a proprietary ODBC layer.)

I'll be very interested to see what response people give to this query.

--
 \         "Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they |
  `\                                      believe me?"  -- Jack Handey |