GUI

Joost van Rooij j.vanrooij_at_e-quest.nl
Fri Jun 13 11:38:29 EDT 2003

> I heard that it is possible to program GUI's with Python. I have to make
> some simple executable programs with a GUI. They should run on Windows.
> Unfortunately I am not very experienced with Python. That's why I would
> appreciate suggestions for an easy to use software. :-)

GUI programming is very well possible, there are several gui toolkits out
there, all with there own pros and cons. I'll name a few:
Tkinter: (default with Python distro, crossplatform)
WxPython: based on wxWindows(crossplatform, preferred by a lot of people)
pyQT:(crossplatform, but commercial on win32)
MFC:(Only works on win32)

Personally I have great expierences with wxPython, it has a native look and
feel on both Windows en Unix, has truly lots of widgets, is free and fairly
easy to use.

> I know it is bad to ask this in an open source forum, but I am quite
> experienced with VBA. So if there is anything similar in Python, I would
> be happy! :-)

The biggest drawback for GUI designing in Python is the lack of a good
drag&drop designing tool for it. Personally I do it by hand (but I only make
fairly simple dialogs), but boa-constructor is looking really good. But
there is also wxGlade, Pythoncard, wxDesigner (commercial). All of these
tools are very usable but still in alpha stage the last time I looked...