Tk vs wxPython ?

Aurélien Géron ageron at HOHOHOHOvideotron.ca
Wed Jun 4 12:56:15 EDT 2003

Hi,

I'm new here, so maybe this is a debate that has been going on already.  If
that's the case, please ignore this post...

** Why isn't Python shipped with wxPython instead of Tk ? **

When I started using Python, the first thing I wanted to do was to write a
little GUI program.

Of course, I started with Tk because it was shipped with Python, but I was
really disappointed:
- you have to learn yet another language to fully understand Tk
- the documentation is half Tk and half python which makes it confusing
- the look&feel is ok, but not great
- it's a bit slow too

So I looked for a better way and behold: I found wxPython.  In comparison,
it truly ROCKS !
- look&feel is fantastic
- documentation is great : especially thanks to the excellent demo program
which shows code vs result
- the architecture is much simpler : it's just python calling some binary

I'm sure beginners would come to love Python even faster if they could truly
create their first GUI in minutes.  I'm voting for wxPython to replace Tk in
the future Python distribution.

Any comments on this ? Anyone else want to vote ?

:-)
Aurélien