[ANN] pylint-0.1.2

Bernhard Herzog bh at intevation.de
Wed Jun 18 12:31:03 EDT 2003

Alexandre Fayolle <alf at fayauffre.org> writes:

> Pylint is a python tool that checks if a module satisfy a coding
> standard. Pylint can be seen as another pychecker since nearly all
> tests you can do with pychecker can also be done with Pylint. But
> Pylint offers some more features, like checking line-code's length,
> checking if variable names are well-formed according to your coding
> standard, or checking if declared interfaces are truly implemented,
> and much more (see http://www.logilab.org/pylint/ for the complete
> check list). The big advantage with Pylint is that it is highly
> configurable, customizable, and you can easily write a small plugin to
> add a personal feature.

Interesting.

The feature I would like to see most in such a tool would be that it
doesn't try to execute the code it's checking. Just like pychecker,
pylint imports the modules it checks, unfortunately, even though it does
seem to be using some kind of parser for python code from
logilab.common. I haven't investigated it in more detail, though.

Two things I noticed:

 - You may want to indicate that it requires Python 2.2 (the default
   python version on my system was 2.1 which gave an error because the
   tokenize module doesn't have the generate_tokens function in 2.1)

 - It incorrectly says that "C" is not a valid class name in the
   following class statement:

   class C:
       pass

  Bernhard