does lack of type declarations make Python unsafe?

Brandon Corfman bcorfman at amsaa.army.mil
Tue Jun 17 09:16:18 EDT 2003

1) Why can't this issue be solved by making Python like Lisp/Dylan in
this regard? Make type declarations/range limitations on variables an
optional thing. Flexibility if you need it, safety later if you're
concerned about it.

2) It also seems that the Python community wastes too much time on these
explanations. A better answer (in my mind) would be to say that the
Python environment is designed to make the development process far
different than in a statically-typed language like C++.

Python is different because a) an interactive command prompt to allow
instant evaluation/testing of return values encourages immediate
testing, b) a unit testing framework encourage more long-term testing,
and c) simple tuple-packing/unpacking allow multiple return values. All
of these combine to make Python a development environment that
encourages functional programming _and all development should be done
this way_. If your functions at the lowest levels produce the results
you are expecting, then you have confidence that the other higher-level
functions built on top of them will produce the correct results as well.

This development process is vastly different than what a C++/Java
programmer is used to, because even if they program functionally (and
MOST do not), they rely on a debugger to test values. Although the
Python environment has a debugger to make C++/Java programmers make the
transition, I think new Python programmers should be steered toward
using Python properly as soon as possible.

I think the problem is that a C++/Java programmer regards the Python
command prompt as little more than a calculator or a place to type
"prog.main()". I know I did at first.

Brandon