shebang strange thing...

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-zip-does-too.com.au
Sun Jun 29 18:30:28 EDT 2003

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 11:05:44 GMT, Van Gale wrote:
> Ben Finney wrote:
>> I maintain that the CR and LF were needlessly preserved as separate
>> operations, with no benefit.
>
> I disagree.  IIRC there were plenty of printers where the carriage
> return operation took a disproportionately long time, so therefore
> backspacing was the prefered method for overstriking, but at the same
> time that meant line feeds were a big performance win for smart
> applications.

Fair enough then; the operations were kept separate for a reason
justifiable at the time.

Sadly, now we have to live with the legacy of the resulting confusion,
long after those benefits are obsolete.

--
 \     "Here is a test to see if your mission on earth is finished. If |
  `\                       you are alive, it isn't."  -- Francis Bacon |