PythonD: 4Suite or Twisted?

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Wed Jun 4 13:53:10 EDT 2003

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:

>    (...)      The core internet components, for example, are quite robust
> already, and you will rarely see messages about rewriting/refactoring
> those pieces.

Just one small comment, since I generally don't see it mentioned in
postings about Twisted - the underlying protocol support for internet
components appear robust in terms of TCP support, but we found that
UDP support was much weaker when we last looked at Twisted (not too
long ago).

To the extent that WAN applications for existing popular protocols are
virtually all TCP based, this isn't much of an issue (and probably
explains the state of affairs), but if you're thinking of using
Twisted for in-house development, it's at least something to be aware
of and to check that it has the functionality you need.  For example
in our case, we use UDP-based systems probably in equal amounts to TCP
based systems for in house code.

Note that this is far from a knock on Twisted, which is certainly an
attractive framework in its own right.  But references to its support
for network processing generally don't mention the different level of
support at the protocol layer.

-- David