Possible PEP: Improve classmethod/staticmethod syntax

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Wed Jun 4 05:18:29 EDT 2003

Hi,

Bryan schreef op woensdag  4 juni om 06:11:23 +0000:
> ok, i understand what you mean now.  but, in a way, it seems that we are
> playing symantec games here. from a programmers prespective, it looks and
> feels like a keyword.
>
> style 1:
> def myMethod(args) [staticmethod]:
>     blah, blah, blah
>
> style 2:
> def staticmethod myMethod(args):
>     blah, blah, blah

style 3:
def myMethod(args)(staticmethod):
    blah, blah, blah

style 4:
def staticmethod(myMethod(args)):
    blah, blah, blah

BTW, what would happen if a modifier is applied that doesn't return
a callable (like def foo(args)(str):)? Would it raise an exception or
bind a string to 'foo', ignoring the contents of the 'def' declaration?

> but i have to vote -1 on style one, +1 on style 2, +0 keeping it the way it

style 1: -1
style 2: +0
style 3: +1
style 4: +0
for me

yours,
Gerrit.

--
149. If this woman does not wish to remain in her husband's house, then
he shall compensate her for the dowry that she brought with her from her