a = b = 1 just syntactic sugar?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jun 8 15:30:10 EDT 2003

news:2259b0e2.0306080415.52a8ba8 at posting.google.com...
news:<tSudnREsGaCHsX-jXTWcoA at comcast.com>...>

> > So if we are to make special syntactic rules for lambda, I would
like
> > to make them less powerful by restricting the expression body to
> > lambda-less expressions
>
> Cool! Unfortunately, this cannot be done because it would break
existing
> code

I was suggesting this as a possibility for Python 3, which *will*
break existing code by removing deprecated features.  How much and
when is still up in the air.

>(most of it in Python obfuscated code contests ;-).

That was my intention ;-)

> Anyway, it is a nice idea and I like it!

At least one of the PyDev regulars (forget who) has suggested, I
believe seriously, that lambda be one of the things deprecated (in the
last of 2.x series) and then removed in 3.0.  The above is an
in-between suggestion.

Terry J. Reedy