Feature Structures in Python (Part II)

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Thu Jun 19 03:36:05 EDT 2003

This is part II. Note that it hasn't be changed to use clear() instead of
having the del_features() function yet.

Again, suggestions for improvement appreciated.

James

###
### FEATURE STRUCTURES IN PYTHON (Part II)
###
### James Tauber - http://jtauber.com/
### Updated: 2003-06-19
#
# This is the second part of a guide to implementing feature structures
# in Python.
#
# In the previous part, we saw how to use dictionaries for feature
# structures and how to implement reentrancy. In this part we'll look
# at subsumption.
#
# Previously, we defined the following:

class feature(str):
    pass

def del_features(feature_structure):
    for f in feature_structure.keys():
        del feature_structure[f]

##
## SUBSUMPTION
#
# We will define subsumption recursively, to cover nested feature
# structures. In particular, F1 will be said to subsume F2 iff, for
# every feature in F1, the same feature exists in F2 and the value of
# the feature in F1 subsumes the value in F2. Furthermore, an atomic
# value will only subsume another atomic if they are equal.
#
# NOTE: I'll postpone the question of whether None should subsume
# everything.
#
# Let's unpack the definition.
#
# The definition depends on whether the two objects being compared are
# dictionaries or not. Let's initially cover the non-dictionary case.

def _subsume_1(value1, value2):
    return value1 == value2

assert _subsume_1("np", "np")
assert not _subsume_1("np", "vp")

#
# Now let's define the corresponding function for two
# feature-structures with atomic values:

def _subsume_2(structure1, structure2):
    for feat in structure1:  # iterate over features in first
        if feat in structure2 and \
               _subsume_1(structure1[feat], structure2[feat]):
            pass                 # if compatible, continue along
        else:
            return 0             # found an incompatibility
    return 1                 # got through with no problems

assert _subsume_2({}, {})

fs1 = {
    "NUMBER": "sg",
    "PERSON": 3
}

fs2 = {
    "NUMBER": "pl",
    "PERSON" : 3
}

fs3 = {
    "NUMBER" : "sg"
}

fs4 = {
    "PERSON": 3
}

assert not _subsume_2(fs1, fs2)
assert not _subsume_2(fs1, fs3)
assert not _subsume_2(fs1, fs4)
assert not _subsume_2(fs2, fs1)
assert not _subsume_2(fs2, fs3)
assert not _subsume_2(fs2, fs4)
assert _subsume_2(fs3, fs1)
assert not _subsume_2(fs3, fs2)
assert not _subsume_2(fs3, fs4)
assert _subsume_2(fs4, fs1)
assert _subsume_2(fs4, fs2)
assert not _subsume_2(fs4, fs3)

#
# Now we are in a position to properly define our subsume function:

def subsume(object1, object2):
    if type(object1) == type(object2) == dict:
        for feat in object1:
            if feat in object2 and \
                   subsume(object1[feat], object2[feat]):
                pass
            else:
                return 0
        return 1
    else:
        return object1 == object2

#
# Let's repeat the same tests with the next function.

assert subsume("np", "np")
assert not subsume("np", "vp")

assert subsume({}, {})

assert not subsume(fs1, fs2)