cvs checkout question

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Tue Jun 24 15:13:38 EDT 2003

I'm trying to check out the current Python (read only) via anonymous cvs
as per the instructions on the "Development Tools" page
<http://python.org/dev/tools.html> and it's failing

% cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.python.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/python
login   (all one one line)
(Logging in to reowen at cvs.python.sourceforge.net)
CVS password:

but regardless of what password I try I get one of two messages:

cvs [login aborted]: authorization failed: server
cvs.python.sourceforge.net rejected access

or

cvs [login aborted]: recv() from server cvs.python.sourceforge.net:
Connection reset by peer

I have a sourceforge account, so I also tried logging in as me and that
didn't work any better. Any hints? I'm on a MacOS X machine in case that
matters, but I have checked stuff out from other cvs servers.

-- Russell