Freedom vs popularity

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-zip-does-too.com.au
Wed Jun 18 21:16:18 EDT 2003

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:20:48 +1000, Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) wrote:
> From: Ben Finney
>> [GPL as possible explicit waiver of copyright]
>> Thanks for the FUD, but no thanks.
>
> No FUD, no ability to support anything.

Then please change your description of the supposed problem when you
discuss it, because the GPL is provably not an "explicit" waiver of
copyright.

> Personally, the only thing I have against the GPL is that in practical
> terms it restricts the amount that code licensed under it is used.
> BSD-style licenses allow far greater usage of code, and as a result
> such code does get used more.

That's fine.  The purpose of a copyleft license like the GPL is not to
promote the widest use of the code; it is to promote the greatest
freedom for users of the code, and to encourage more free software to be
written and distributed.

    <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-copyleft.html>

The BSD license, on the other hand, is designed for those who want their
code to be used as widely as possible, and don't care whether their
software will become part of a non-free program.

> I prefer that my code, where possible, be used by as many people as
> possible.

Then a BSD license sounds best for your purposes.  My purposes, on the
other hand, place freedom ahead of popularity, so I prefer the GPL.

We're both writing free software.  Share and enjoy.

--
 \      "Truth: Something somehow discreditable to someone."  -- Henry |
  `\                                                        L. Mencken |