shebang strange thing...

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Fri Jun 27 00:35:39 EDT 2003

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 01:21:20 GMT, "Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote:
[...]
>Although in actual fact the KSR33 teletype did need a fifth of a second to
>guarantee that the print head would have returned to the left margin from
>column 72 haracters was a "feature". Sometimes you would (all right, *I*
>would) depress the two keys in the wrong order, and the result was that you
>would see a single character printed in the middle of the new line during
>the "flyback" period.

Or for programmed output, you'd (ok, *I* would ;-) program a delay to allow
for the flyback to complete after the line feed which IIRC could be done during
flyback, since it didn't print anything. But I think we had flexowriters before
we had KSR33s. At least I was personally introduced to flexowriters first.

What I am trying to remember is how the Friden flexowriter that was connected
to the LGP-30 I once coded for worked re CR/LF. It definitely had a moving carriage
and moved like a typewriter, but ISTR that one key would do the CRLF. But there was
more than one model, and I suspect there was one that had separate CR/LF codes/functions.
Maybe one we used with a PDP-8 later ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter