Alternatives to Python ?

Jiwon Seo jiwon at softwise.co.kr
Thu Jun 19 23:47:50 EDT 2003

Gary Duncan <gmduncan at netspace.net.au> wrote in message news:<3EF18A03.3050706 at netspace.net.au>...
> There's been occasional not-unfavourable comments in this news-group
> about the pros-and-cons of other so-called "high-level-languages" like
> Ruby, and Haskell , and others too.
>
> I can't afford to buy more than one such book from the list of HLLs;
> so what would you suggest ?
>

> - Gary  (currently reading "Don Qixote - for Dummies" - hilarious )

The question could be, why would you want to read such books?
I assume that you want to read a book for concepts for programming
rather for descriptions of language, for learning a new language
should mean learning new ways of thinking, and in that case, I'd
recommend you to read SICP.

The examples in the book happens to be written in scheme, so you'll
get to learn second oldest programming language in the world for a
sort of bonus. But the real benefit is, you'll get to learn the ways
of building programs, and to think with abstractions. If you've
already read that book, you would not need to read a book for Haskell,
or some other language. You would only need an online manual to get
used to it.