"Newbie" questions - "unique" sorting ?

John Fitzsimons xpm4senn001 at sneakemail.com
Tue Jul 1 21:34:06 EDT 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:11:59 -0500, John Hunter
<jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> [...]

Hi John,

>    John> (B) I am wanting to sort words (or is that strings ?) into a
>    John> list from a clipboard and/or file input and/or....

>    John> (C) To sort out the list of "unique" words/strings.

>The classic idiom for getting a unique list is to use a dictionary
>http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/52560.

< snip >

Thanks for your input/comments.  :-)

>Very large
>text files (you mentioned 50MB) are extremely rare.

< snip >

Not if I convert news posts to a text file. Not so hard to get
files >10MB that way. I expect that some would be >50MB.  :-)

Regards, John.

  ,-._|\    John Fitzsimons - Melbourne, Australia.
 /  Oz  \   http://www.vicnet.net.au/~johnf/welcome.htm
 \_,--.x/   http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/