path module

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Jul 8 10:03:15 EDT 2003

    >> a/b/c/d
    >>
    >> is nicely analogous to Unix pathname syntax.

    Just> But when the items are variables, what you read is not what you
    Just> get.  Often you'll want (some) literals, and then you get

    Just>     path = basePath/"a"/"b"/"c"

    Just> ...and _that_ I find quite horrible...

I don't know for sure, but I suspect the above could also be

    path = basePath/"a/b/c"

Still not perfect, but in any case, the '/' is meant to be suggestive, not
literal.  Perhaps you would have preferred he use ':'? ;-)

    Just> (Did I mention that / usually means divide in Python? ;-)

Sure, just like '%' means modulo in Python, but it seems to have found a
home in printf-style string expansion.

Skip