Standard behaviour of a getSomething method

Dan Williams dan at osheim.org
Wed Jul 23 19:19:52 EDT 2003

Batista, Facundo wrote:
> When I want to know about a attribute (e.g.: myAttrib) of an object, I
> should use the specific method (e.g.: getMyAttrib).

Its not really considered "pythonic" to access attributes through
getters and setters. Instead, you can access them directly:

 >>> class Foo:
...     def __init__(self, val):
...             self.a = val
 >>> foo = Foo(4)
 >>> print foo.a
4
 >>> foo.a = 6
 >>> print foo.a
6

If you need to to other processing of the data for the data (ie, if you
wanted to give a copy), you can use the __getattr__ and __setattr__
methods.

> Considering that this attribute is always another object (everything is
> an object in Python), what should getMyAttrib do?
>
>         1) Return the object
>         2) Return a copy of the object
>
> How do I return a copy of the object?
try looking at: